Friday, January 05, 2007

Good Skin Soft Reflections Illuminating Loose Powder

I've been intrigued by the new trend on "illuminating" powders and shimmers, etc. So when I went on a shopping trip to Kohls and perused the Good Skin counter (one of their 4 beauty product lines), I felt the need to buy their Soft Reflections Illuminating Loose Powder ($18). It was a splurge, yes, but I just liked this stuff for some reason, and had to have it.

The label claims this :"water-infused" powder will "provide a barely-there luminosity that instantly refreshes and delicately minimizes the appearance of lines and wrinkles for a silky smooth radiance." I didn't really know what they meant by "water-infused" and just kinda sdhrugged my shoulders at it.

(As an aside, this idea of a shimmer powder minimizing the appearce of fine lines is complete bull. Wearing shimmer on your skin is like wearing a tight, satin dress-- any and all odd bulges or lines WILL show up, and will be magnified to proportions you were previously unaware of. Shimmer is still good, but you have to choose wisely where you will apply it).

As soon as I got home I opened up the box to try out my new powder. I was pleased to find a small travel brush inside the box (very handy). I sprinkled some of the powder onto the jar lid, swiped a large blush brush over it, and applied it to my cheeks. "Wait a minute," I thought, "why does my brush feel wet?" I touched swiped the brush on my hands, but felt nothing. Then I dusted more powder onto it and tried again.. and again it felt wet! Then it clicked-- that's what they meant by "water-infused!" I have no idea how they did it, as the powder is clearly a dry powder, or what the advantage is... It does feel kinda wierd at first, so be warned.

The shimmer itself is very subtle, which is nice-- none of this in-your-face, bright shimmer. I've found myself using a touch of this over my blush for a bit of luminosity. Again, one must be careful where to apply shimmer as it can make skin imperfections more obvious. But it can add a nice touch, especially if everything else you have on is matte.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya :) I don't know if you shop at Ulta.com, but I know you like the Ulta eyeshadows, so I thought I would pass this along. Ulta.com is having a big beauty sale - it's advertised on a big banner on their site. There is also an online coupon you can use to take $3 off $10 or more -
Just go to www.ulta.com and click on "Advertised Specials" at the top :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a knock-off of Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder. Wonder if they're owned by the same company?